sdo message

Subject: Re: AW: [sdo] SDO 3 Core and Optional Features

Hi Ron,

I understand your position. Don't get me wrong, my list of what should be
optional was not meant to be a concrete proposal, but rather just a way to
explain what features of SDO are uninteresting in the IBM use case. I'm
sure that for other use cases, the optional parts are very different.
Ideally, I would like to see the same kind of breakdown for all the major
use cases, after which some common uninteresting parts might emerge. I
recognize that even if we did something like this, there's a fine line
after which the core becomes meaningless. If we wanted to do this, we'd
need to try to identify just some big hitters that can be optional (e.g.,
dynamic metadata creation), and like you said, everyone is still going to
need to implement some things that they don't really care about, for the
good of the spec.

Frank.

"Barack, Ron" <ron.barack@sap.com>
02/20/2009 04:37 AM

Frank Budinsky/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, <sdo@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc

Subject
AW: [sdo] SDO 3 Core and Optional Features

Hi Frank,

I'm all for providing a means for users to allow users to enable and
disable features based on the their scenario, especially when such
features impact performance.  But I strongly disagree with the approach
you are suggesting.

The value of the spec has nothing to do with how many implementations it
has, the value of the spec is that it provides source code compatibility
and or interoperability between implementations.  The point of the spec is
so that (potential) users will know what "SDO Complient" means.  A matrix
of features that may or may not be supported does nothing to strengthen
this.

Each of us have different usecases in mind.  DataDirect cares deeply about
using SDO with a DAS, SAP about using SDO as a data representation in SOA,
IBM about SDO as a dynamic API for dealing with XML.  How are we going to
decide which of these is "core"?  In your mail, you make everything
optional that is not involved with using SDO as a dynamic API for XML.  It
seems like you are arguing that your use case "core" and everyone else's
"optional".  But SDO is not a dynamic API for XML, SDO is a data
representation that is independent of the data source.

Everyone who has implemented a spec has implemented pieces of the spec
that they did not believe (at the time) to be relevant.  The good news is
that often use cases come once the implementation offers them, at least
that's my experience.  In fact, this is part of the benefit of
implementing a spec rather than simply designing something proprietary,
that it takes into account use cases that maybe you haven't seen yet, but
will come, eventually.

In the particular case of change summary XML serialization, I think we all
agree that the current format is verbose and awkward.  If you have another
approach, please come forward with it.

That said, there may be aspects of the 2.1 spec that can be left out of
3.0, or left as vendor extensions.  I was arguing in yesterday's meeting
that standard java.io Serialization may be one such feature.  But I think
we should be aware that with each such decision we are *weakening* the
spec, not strengthing it, which is why we agreed to try to fix
serialization to make it something to which SAP can also sign up.

Ron