sdo message

Subject: AW: AW: [sdo] Groups - HelperContext Creation - Java Spec - v2 (HelperContextCreation-Java.doc) uploaded

Hi Blaise,

You're right, if the user specifies a classloader, then we should probably look only there for the referenced classes.  On the otherhand, it would be nice to say something about the default behavior, i.e., in which classloader do the default HC and those created without a specified classloader look?  I'm having trouble formulating a statement here, since I guess it's dependent on the environment (eg, in JavaEE it would be approriate in look in the current threads context, but this wouldn't fit to OSGi).  On the other hand, I don't want to create the impression that static SDOs do not work unless a classloader is supplied.  Maybe we could add a sentence:

"A ClassLoader parameter may also be supplied. When a static SDO class is referenced by name, implementations MUST search the supplied ClassLoader for the requested class.  The ClassLoader used by the default HelperContext, and HelperContexts that were created without a specified ClassLoader depends on the implementation and the environment, for instance, when SDO is being used in a Java EE environment, the current thread's contextClassLoader SHOULD be used."

which doesn't add anything that's really testable (hence the SHOULD), but defines some expected behaviour... and makes it clear that the default HC is not inconsistent with static SDOs.

Best Regards,
Ron

Von: Blaise Doughan [mailto:blaise.doughan@oracle.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 6. Juli 2009 16:40
An: Barack, Ron
Cc: sdo@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Ron,

Agreed that "generated instance classes" is wrong now that we support annotated interface classes as input.

Do we need to say more than:

"A ClassLoader parameter may also be supplied. When a static SDO class is referenced by name, implementations MUST search the supplied ClassLoader for the requested class."

I think it goes without saying that a ClassLoader includes it's parent class loaders.  I think it is wrong for the spec to imply that implementations may search unrelated ClassLoaders for static SDO classes, do you see a use case for this?

-Blaise

Barack, Ron wrote:
7C3EF93EEBC6EB4A8B4470853DE86566E34C6D@dewdfe18.wdf.sap.corp type="cite">
Hi Blaise,

In section 2.17.1, I do not like the phrase "generated instance classes", since not all static SDOs will be generated.  Could we instead say,

A ClassLoader parameter may also be supplied.  When a static SDO class is referenced by name, implementations MUST search the supplied ClassLoader for the requested class first.  Implementations MAY search other ClassLoaders, as appropriated for the environment.  For instance, the thread's current context ClassLoader MAY be searched in a JavaEE environment.

Ron