sdo message

Subject: SDO Java Spec Comments

Below are some initial comments on the SDO Java spec.

General
  • We should use generics when the return type is List.  I believe we can change "List /*DataObject*/ getChangedDataObjects();" to "List<DataObject> getChangedDataObjects();" without any consequence.
Section 2.1.2 - Open Content DataObject Properties
  • "the property type is derived from the Java class of the value, or List of values, being set. If the value is an instance of DataObject, a Java Implementation of SDO MUST create the property using the type of the DataObject (returned by DataObject.getType()). [JAV02010201]."
    The above compliance point does not cover what happens if the List of values contains objects from the same inheritance hierarchy.  Is the type based on DataObject.getType() from the first item in the list, or the lowest super class common to all DataObjects in the list.
Section 2.1.4 - DataObject Accessor Exceptions
  • DataObject accessor exceptions are all standard Java runtime exceptions so programs do not need try/catch blocks to program with the DataObject interface. The content of the exception SHOULD BE a String that describes the problem.
    Why do the exceptions need to be standard runtime exceptions, why is any subclass of RuntimeException not acceptible?
Section 2.9.1 - JavaHelper Interface
  • "Implementation complience is based on the the ability to define types from any interface meeting the requirements set out in Chapter 3"
  • "the" occurs twice in a row
Section 2.19.4 Implementation Specific HelperContextFactory
  • SDO.getHelperContextFactory(“org,example.vendor.HCFImpl”);
    There is a comma that should be a period
-Blaise