sdo message

Subject: Re: [sdo] SDO 3.0 API Refactor - First Draft

Latest version of the API refactor.

-Blaise

Blaise Doughan wrote:
4BC470D7.5060601@oracle.com" type="cite"> Hi Frank,

I believe the attached version of the API addresses your points.  I don't remember the group deciding to remove getRootObject() so I have put that back in.

-Blaise

Frank Budinsky wrote:
OF39D27DC8.B44AB89D-ON85257700.00533F62-85257700.00540887@ca.ibm.com" type="cite">

Hi Blaise,

It looks like the other 2 missing methods from org.oasisopen.sdo.DataObject are:

Sequence getSequence();
DataObject getRootObject();

I think we did decide to remove getRootObject() as part of the orphanHolder issue, but I think getSequence() should be there. So, if you add getSequence() and setList(int, List), then org.oasisopen.sdo.DataObject will have 39 methods total, which I think is what we should expect.

Thanks,
Frank.

Inactive hide details for Blaise Doughan ---04/09/2010 11:04:34 AM---Hi Frank, I'll look into void setList(int propertyIndex, LBlaise Doughan ---04/09/2010 11:04:34 AM---Hi Frank, I'll look into void setList(int propertyIndex, List<? extends Object>

Blaise Doughan <blaise.doughan@oracle.com>

Frank Budinsky/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

sdo@lists.oasis-open.org

04/09/2010 11:04 AM

Re: [sdo] SDO 3.0 API Refactor - First Draft

Hi Frank,

I'll look into void setList(int propertyIndex, List<? extends Object> value);.

For the other missing methods, the commonj.sdo.* classes extend the org.oasisopen.sdo.* classes, so where possible I have removed the commonj methods where they can be inherited from oasisopen. Including inheritance the SDO 3.0 commonj classes should have more methods than the SDO 2.1.1 commonj classes.

-Blaise

Frank Budinsky wrote:
      Hi Blaise,

      I think this method is missing from org.oasisopen.sdo.DataObject:

      void setList(int propertyIndex, List<? extends Object> value);

      I'm also not sure if there are more missing methods, since here is understanding:

      1. JSR235 DataObject had 123 methods.
      2. 5 deprecated should be removed.
      3. 84 getXXX/setXXX methods are being removed.
      4. 6 new generic get/set methods are being added.

      So this implies that org.oasisopen.sdo.DataObject should have:

      123 - 5 - 84 + 6 = 40 methods.

      But, I count only 37. If you add the setList() method, above, that's 38, but still 2 short of the 40 that I expected. Am I missing something?

      Also, I noticed that the version of commonj.sdo.DataObject in your zip only has 109 methods, instead of the original 123 from JSR235. I thought it was supposed to be essentially the JSR 235 version, only deprecated. Did you need to remove some methods to get it to compile?

      Thanks,
      Frank.

      Inactive hide details for Blaise Doughan ---04/09/2010 09:53:40 AM---Hello All, Attached is the third pass at the API refactor.Blaise Doughan ---04/09/2010 09:53:40 AM---Hello All, Attached is the third pass at the API refactor. The commonj.sdo.* files

      Blaise Doughan <blaise.doughan@oracle.com>

      sdo@lists.oasis-open.org

      04/09/2010 09:53 AM

      Re: [sdo] SDO 3.0 API Refactor - First Draft

      Hello All,

      Attached is the third pass at the API refactor. The commonj.sdo.* files are now marked deprecated (in both the javadoc comment and @Deprecated annotation). Also the javadoc comment problem in DataObject has been fixed.

      -Blaise

      Blaise Doughan wrote:
              Hello All,

              Attached is the second pass at the API refactor. The commonj.sdo.* files are based on SDO 2.1.1 (JSR 235), and the org.oasisopen.sdo.* files are based on the files sent out by Ron on Feburary 18th with the subject "[sdo] SDO-27: Proposed API with generics and deprecated typed accessors.".

              -Blaise

              Blaise Doughan wrote:
                      Hello All,

                      Attached is a first stab at the API refactor discussed last week (introducing org.oasisopen.sdo.*). It is still a work in progress and will not completely compile. I have also attached a skeleton impl to ensure that an implementation could implement both sets of interfaces.

                      To satisfy the compiler I was required to remove the generics from all list return types on the commonj.sdo.* classes as apparently

                      This is valid:
                      Super Class: org.oasisopen.sdo.DataObject foo();
                      Sub Class: commonj.sdo.DataObject foo();

                      This is not:
                      Super Class: List<org.oasisopen.sdo.DataObject bar();
                      Sub Class: List<commonj.sdo.DataObject> bar();

                      Decisions to be made:
                          1. Is this worth doing?
                          2.
                          Is there any reason for the commonj.sdo.* API to be different from SDO 2.1.1 (add new API only to org.oasisopen.sdo.*)?
                          3.
                          Are there any other API fixes we should make?
                      -Blaise