sdo message

Subject: Re: [sdo] Naming of the project() method

I have generated an updated version of the HelperContex interface diagram based on the resolution of issue 120:

The core DataHelper interface now has no operations so an image would be rather pointless so I have not generated an updated one.  I would suggest simply removing the current one from the core spec.

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com

From: Rick Barkhouse <rick.barkhouse@oracle.com>
To: "sdo@lists.oasis-open.org" <sdo@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 04/30/2010 04:19 PM
Subject: [sdo] Naming of the project() method

Hi all,

Looking at projection this week, there has been something that is bothering me from an OO standpoint about the naming and owner of the project() method. From Ron's original email:

"Object O1 with type T1 in HelperContext C1 and a second context C2 that defines a Type T2, that is compatible with T1"

"DataObject O2 = C2.project(O1);"

It seems weird to me that we are asking C2 to "project" O1, as that would seem to imply that C2 is the projector, when it is really the destination of the projection.  I'm wondering if we should consider renaming / moving the method for maximum usability.

Here are three alternatives:

A) DataObject O2 = C1.project(O1, C2);   // Tell C1 to project O1 onto C2

B) DataObject O2 = C2.import(O1);   // Tell C2 to import O1 into itself

C) DataObject O2 = O1.project(C2);  // Tell O1 to project itself onto C2

Any thoughts on this?  I think C is probably least desirable as it is placing new API on DataObject, but A and B seem to make a bit more sense.

--
Rick Barkhouse | Software Developer, EclipseLink | 613.288.4613

Oracle
Development
45 O'Connor Street, Suite 400 | Ottawa, Ontario K1P 1A4