sdo message

Subject: Issue 8: Explicit Sets

Hi Everyone,

I took an action item to review the current status of Issue 8.  The spec currently states:

For many-valued properties, isSet(property) MUST return:

For single-valued properties, isSet(property) MUST return:

If I remember correctly, one of the main reasons for this was that we would have to arbitrarily pick a meaning when unmarshalling from XML, since XML certainly doesn’t render a difference between unset and empty multivalued properties, making the state of isSet difficult to “bounce”.  On the other hand, we looking at the API, the different meanings attached to isSet certainly also appears arbitrary.  It would also mean that the special handling of open-content multivalued properties would fall away, specifically, the final two points in section 4.1.5

Since setting an open content property to an empty list is the equivalent of unset, setting an unknown property to an empty list is conceptually equivalent to creating an on-the-fly instance property and then immediately unsetting it (see Open Content DataObject Properties). Setting an unknown property to an empty list MUST NOT have any effect on a DataObject’s state.[COR04010507]

If the last value of an existing open content property list is removed and then another value is added, an SDO implementation MUST put the same Property instance in the instance properties of the containing DataObject. [COR04010508]

become unnecessary, open content properties could simply hang around with empty lists, until they are explicitly unset.

But of course, we are talking about a breaking change here, so that I would propose closing 8 with no action.

Ron