sdo message

Subject: RE: [sdo] ISSUE 41: an API for elementForm and attributeForm

Hi Blaise,

Right now, as I understand the spec, the default behavior is both elements and the attributes are rendered “unqualified”, so I’m worried that your suggestion for generating metadata from DataObjects is a breaking change.  If we could make the choice freely, I would have preferred your rule as the default behavior, since this seems to be the more standard XSD usage.  Also, is your suggestion “in addition to” or “instead of” the ability to control the qualitification through @xmlPropertyUri?

Regarding generating metadata from Java Annotations, I think this is a nice idea, but we should also be aware that the mapping from namespace to schema is 1:n, and that, if we were writing the schema per hand, we could give each schema different “formDefaults”.  How common this is in practice, I don’t know.

Similarly, even when the metadata comes from XSD, we have no guarantee that we will be splitting up the name space in the same way when the XSD is rendered.  It could be that 2 schemas are used to define the same namespace, and each schema has different values for “elementFormDefault”.  When we later generate XSD from all the types in the namespace, which value should we use?

The fact is, certain details get lost when converting from XSD to SDO… this is intentional, otherwise, SDO would be just as crazily complex as XSD.  Obviously, though, we want to be as accurate as possible.  But here we have a change that doesn’t improve the quality of the mapping at all.  Here we have a detail that only has to do with how humanly readable the generated schema is,  with whether or not we need to write the “form=’qualified’” on every property or have a default value.

Maybe we should add a XSDHelper.generate method that takes some options, this would give at least a framework for implementing this functionality.  I think we may need these options anyway, so that we can supply something like a reverse-schema-resolver, to generate the import statements for referenced types (e.g., in another namespace).

Best Regards,

Ron