sdo message

Subject: RE: ISSUE 184: Replace missing text in section 4.1.3 and 4.1.4

Hi Guys,

I looked at the table of exceptions in section 4.1.13, and noticed that besides the problem with many-valued properties, we also say that an exception is thrown when setting read-only properties, and also on creation of a cycle in the containment structure.  We discussed read-only last week, and I believe we also agreed to remove the cyclic containment stuff, too.  So here’s the table, removing these lines and with my edits to the many-valued stuff.

Condition

Exception

For Types without open content (open=false), Property is not a member of getInstanceProperties() in get<T>(Property property) or get<T>(int propertyIndex).

  • getInstanceProperties().contains(property) == false
  • propertyIndex < 0 or >= getInstanceProperties().size()
    • Example: getInteger(null)
    • Example: get(String.class,-1)
    • Example: isSet(property)

IllegalArgumentException

Index out of range on a many-valued Property (defined by the List interface)

  • index < 0 or >= getList(Property property).size()
    • Example: getList(employee).get(-1)
    • Example: getList(employee).get(1000) where there are less than 1000 values

IndexOutOfBoundsException

Cannot convert between value and requested Type

  • Example: get(Date.class, property) where property.Type is float
  • Example: getList(property) where property.many == false and property.type.instanceClass is not List.

Conversion-related exception (for example,

ClassCastException, NumberFormatException etc.)

Mixing single-valued and many-valued Property access

  • Except as described in section 4.1.4: Many-valued DataObject Properties
  • Example: get<String>(property) where property.many == false and the value of the property contains 2 or more elements.

ClassCastException