sdo message

Subject: RE: ISSUE 181: Nested normative statements in 7.4.2

Hi Bryan,

I have some reservations about the second bullet, but I think the final statement is really broken.

Use case is that we have a complex non-sequenced, and one of the properties in the sequence, say ‘a’  has maxOccurs=1.

Let’s imagine that we load the schema, and instanciate a few DataObjects from it.

OK, now we load a second schema. In this schema is a second type that extends the first type, but adds and additional “a” element.  Might sound bizarre, but this is allowed and well defined in XML.  But of course, it comflicts with SDO’s notion of a property.  We want to deal with this case as a multivalued property, but we can’t, because the base type has already been created, and SDO can’t redefine the property.  I don’t think we want to provide for properties being changed…  it’s particularly troubling because metadata can be shared between threads.  Also, I’m not at all sure why we want to change the base type to sequenced?  AFAIK, a child of a non-sequenced type can be sequenced, but not the other way around.  Maybe this MUST is intended for the provider of the schema.  That is, I think we are saying (or should be saying) that we don’t handle this “corner case”.

I would like to just get rid of the last sentence, and enhance the last bullet point with:

This potentially creates a conflict with the base type, namely, if the property was defined there as being single-valued.  Results are undefined in such cases.

Best Regards,

Ron