search-ws-comment message

Subject: RE: [search-ws-comment] "Last Week" is a bad idea for <actualValue>

We *don't* have client-defined range facets, therefore the developer cannot figure out how to create such a query anyway. Your argument does not hold true for server-defined facets. To put it another way: there will be no sending of strings that have not been sent first by the *server*, and therefore there will be no "url hacking" or "query hacking".

Van: LeVan,Ralph [mailto:levan@oclc.org]
Verzonden: maandag 25 oktober 2010 16:02
Aan: search-ws-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

I’ve been giving more thought to our facets conversation and have decided that I don’t like “Last Week” as a term to be sent back to the server.  I’m not saying it is illegal or that the standard won’t support it.  I’m just saying I think it is a bad idea.

The reason is that it depends on server magic.  The client, or more importantly the developer, won’t learn anything about how to construct other range queries if we hide how it is done behind magic strings.  If, instead, we send “20101017 20101023” as the <actualTerm>, then the developer might be able to figure out how to create their own query for “Two Weeks Ago”.

Of course, an <actualTerm> of “20101017 20101023” would want a <displayTerm> of “Last Week”.

Ralph