search-ws-comment message

Subject: RE: [search-ws-comment] "Last Week" is a bad idea for <actualValue>

In scan,  the term is the query. For facets, the facet term has to be combined with the previous query and that can be tricky.

Ralph

"Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <rden@loc.gov> wrote:

" It demonstrates that you have a date index that can be used for range
searches .. "

Now I don't want to open up a whole nother can of worms. But doesn't this
argue for yet one more element  . a query.   If you return the term
"20101017 20101023" is the client likely to be able to formulate a valid
query without any help?  We do it for facets, return a query with each facet
term.

 --Ray

From: LeVan,Ralph [mailto:levan@oclc.org]
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 10:28 AM
To: Edo Plantinga; search-ws-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

The has nothing to do with client-defined range facets.  The client has the
option to specify what facets get returned and the server gets to decide
what ranges are returned to the client.  None of that has changed.

The issue is the value that gets returned in the server-defined range.  Ed
has advocated for the <actualValue> returned to be a magic string such as
"Last Week".  I suggest that a more useful value for developer educational
purposes would be "20101017 20101023" as it would show the developer how to
use ranges in other queries.  It demonstrates that you have a date index
that can be used for range searches and you give an example of such a range
search in your facet response.  This gets away from server "magic" and
teaches the developer something about your server's capabilities.

Ralph