search-ws-comment message

Subject: RE: [search-ws-comment] "Last Week" is a bad idea for <actualValue>

The combination using the "anything does" approach is, I think, much easier. A
field called "Foo" getting searched by a term "LastWeek" looks no different
than a field called "Author" getting searched by a term "LeVan". The server
needs to know what to do.. and what the server does is what the server thinks
is best since its the server that provided in these cases the terms "LastWeek"
for the "Foo" field and "LeVan" for the "Author" field in scan and facet. It
makes life very easy...

Now Raph will say.. and what about a term that's a query: "Cat or Dog".  But..
Its NOT a query. Its not the expression ("Cat" || "Dog") its "Cat or dog".
Since the server provided it its no different than if the server provided
"LeVan,Raph", "Alfred E. Neuman" or "To be or not to be". What the server does
with "Cat or Dog" is up to the server. It provided it and it will handle it
accordingly (from the perspective of the server).

Without this approach I think things get very difficult.

And we are liberated from any restrictions to keep things to ranges, durations
and intervals.

Ralph feels that this fails to "teach[es] the developer something about your
server's capabilities."
I did not know that this was a priority.. or relevant.. even replacing the
word "developer" for "smart clients"..
I don't think showing a developer (of what??) that terms such as "LastWeek" or
"Mondays since 1927" work won't teach him something.. :-)

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 21:05:13 -0400, LeVan,Ralph wrote

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB
Office Leo (R&D):