search-ws-comment message

Subject: XML Schema design for search WS

Hello!

I have read parts of the XML Schemas available through
http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/oasis/ and reflected about their design. In this e-mail, I will focus on the number of possible root elements. As an introductory example, let us consider the following code snippet:

echo '<count xmlns="http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/search-ws/facetedResults";>3</count>' | xmllint --schema facetedResults.xsd -

which answers:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<count xmlns="http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/search-ws/facetedResults";>3</count>

- validates

Similar results are possible with other elements or with other of these schemas. This result is consistent with the schema, but is it really what we want? Should such a short XML document with no more than one element be considered a valid document?

Maybe, we could choose another XML Schema design, appropriately limiting the number of root elements.

Regards!

Saašha,