search-ws-comment message

Subject: RE: [search-ws-comment] XML namespace clarification

From: Oliver Schonefeld [mailto:schonefeld@ids-mannheim.de]

Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 6:38 AM

Hi Oliver – Apologies for not getting to this sooner.

> The example in section 4.4 "Example Scan Response" of Part 6 (Scan) has

> "http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/search-ws/sru-2-0-response" for the XML

> namespace,

That's an error.  There are a few errors in this example. Specifically:

·         Occurrences of “sru-2-0-response”   should instead be  “sruResponse”   (3 occurrences)

·         Root element scanResponse is missing opening angle-bracket.

·         xmlns:xsi=http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance
Need quotes around “http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance”

(I tested and the example validates when these changes are applied..)

…. while section 1.3 "Namespaces" of Part 0 (Overview) states that

> the namespace is supposed to be "http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/search-

> ws/sruRequest".

Actually,

"http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/search-ws/sruRequest"    Is the namespace for the sruRequest schema (not sruResponse) which is used only with SOAP.

> A similar issue exists in section 11.3.1 "Non-Surrogate Example" of Part

> 3 (SRU 2.0) line 619: the example uses

> "info:srw/xmlns/1/sru-2-0-diagnostic", but Part 0 (Overview) states

> "http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/search-ws/diagnostic".

> Another one exists in section 14 "Echoed Request" of Part 3 (SRU 2.0) in line

> 837: the example has "info:srw/xmlns/1/xcql-2-0-v1" for the XML namespace

> of xcql, while section 1.3 "Namespaces" of Part 0 (Overview) states

> "http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/search-ws/xcql".

Yes, the namespaces in these two examples are in error and should instead be as stated in part 0.

> A different issue exists with Part 2 (SRU 1.2) of the spec: section 1.3

> "Namespace" states "All XML namespaces for the set of documents in this

> collection are supplied in the Overview document: searchRetrieve: Part 0.

> Overview Version 1.0", thus e.g. the namespace for the sruResponse should

> be ""http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/search-ws/sruRequest".

> However, this would break backward-compatibility with exiting servcies,

> because the XML schemas that where published on the LOC website[1] for

> SRU 1.0. E.g. it had "http://www.loc.gov/zing/srw/" for the target

> namespace for the SRU response.

> Which namespaces shall a service that aims to implement SRU 1.2 use?

Unfortunately there just isn’t a good answer for this.  In order to get this specification standardized in OASIS (and it is currently being processed as an ISO standard)  we had no choice but to use OASIS namespace conventions.  We lobbied hard for an exception but OASIS would not budge on this issue.

There are a couple additional issues I will mention, just for the sake of completeness.

First.  In the sruResponse schema look at the imports:

<xs:import namespace="http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/search-ws/diagnostic"
schemaLocation="http://docs.oasis-open.org/search-ws/ searchRetrieve/v1.0/csd01/schemas/diagnostic.xsd"/>
            <!-- -->
Etc.

In all of these, there is an extraneous space following “http://docs.oasis-open.org/search-ws/”

The scan schema has the same problem with its imports.

These have already been reported.

Second   the sru-wsdl1-1.wsdl file will not validate, because the line that begins:

   <soap12:operation soapAction="urn:#SearchRetrieve" …..

Gets flagged because  soapAction is supposed to be a URI,    and   "urn:#SearchRetrieve"  is not a valid URI.

This problem has never been reported (and I only discovered it yesterday) because either nobody has implemented SRU with SOAP, or, whoever has, has fixed this themselves.   SOAP/WSDL is not within my area of expertise,  and I do not know how to fix this.  Our resident Expert on WSDL is Matthew Dovey and I’ll try to contact him about it.

Please note that corrected copies of these schemas are available at www.loc.gov/standards/sru/sru-2-0/schemas/

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

Ray