Subject: Re: [search-ws] Scan operation

This may help illustrate scan functionality. Go to:
http://authorities.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?DB=local&PAGE=First

(or, http://authorities.loc.gov/ and click "Search Authorities").

Try "alexander the great" for 'search text' and 'Subject Authority Headings'
for 'Search Type'.

The result is a list of terms, beginning with  "Alexander, the Great,
356-323 B.C."   These are all (hypothetically) index terms such that if you
use one of them in a query, rather than, say,  "Alexander, the Great",
you'll get more precise results.

Not only is "Alexander, the Great, 356-323 B.C."  more specific than
"Alexander, the Great", but if you want to learn about  his drinking
tendencies, right there is the index term  "Alexander, the Great, 356-323
B.C. Alcohol use".

--Ray