Subject: RE: [search-ws] OpenSearch relationship to Search-WS

What you're seeing is not very mature yet and is the topic of mild
disagreement.  Some of us hope that we can actually hijack the
opensearch spec and include it as part of SRU.  Others hope merely to be
able to specify SRU servers in the opensearch spec.  It is awaiting
further discussion.

In the meantime, we're hoping that the threat of hijacking will get the
attention of the opensearch developers and get them involved in our
process.  Having put it that way, what we are doing is threatening to
kidnap their child in the hope of getting them to like us.

Doesn't seem like a good idea.

Ralph

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrukh Najmi [mailto:farrukh@wellfleetsoftware.com]
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 2:25 PM
To: search-ws@lists.oasis-open.org

rden@loc.gov wrote:
> Please give special consideration to the new Annex D: OpenSearch

Presently, I am not yet getting the relationship between Appendix D and
the rest of the spec. It is either not obvious or perhaps it is work
that remains to be done.

As I understand things, Cql expressions are the central thing in
performing a search operation in a serach engine that implements
Search-WS interface.

A key info I am missing is how does an opensearch client use open search

interface to
issue a Cql query? What is the use model for such an opensearch client?

Although I like opensearch, I am concerned about an OASIS spec having a
normative dependency on a spec that is not even on a standards-track. I
can see that we are copying OpenSearch spec content into our spec to
work around this. This seems very inadvisable.

An alternative way to deal with opensearch would to:

    * Make Appendix D Informative / Non-normative.
    * Remove the duplication of opensearch content from Appendix D and
      just reference:
      <http://www.opensearch.org/Specifications/OpenSearch/1.1>
    * Add content that describes:
          o How a Search-WS server *MAY* implement support for
            OpenSearch based search clients
          o How an OpenSearch Client *MAY* search a Search-WS server
            using opensearch

BTW, FWIW, I am trying to deal with the same issue (how to support
opensearch) in RegRep 4.0, OGC Catalog, OGC Web Registry Service specs
and that is the direction I am leaning towards at present. I would like
to understand the rationale for the approach taken in Search-WS.
Ideally, these various specs should address the opensearch issue in a
consistent manner.

--
Regards,
Farrukh