Subject: RE: [search-ws] [Issue] XCQL: do we need it?

If it wasn't clear that we do NOT accept XCQL queries, then that is an
oversight.  We originally did support that in SRW (SOAP messages) but
saw absolutely no value in it and dropped it.  It has NEVER been
supported in SRU requests.

Ralph

-----Original Message-----
From: Raj Singh [mailto:rsingh@opengeospatial.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 4:54 PM
To: LeVan,Ralph
Cc: Farrukh Najmi; search-ws@lists.oasis-open.org

Let me second Ralph's point (but also agree with Farrukh!). In one of
my projects we've struggled with the need to round-trip queries with
UIs to edit them. The structure of an XML-based query format makes
this a reasonable process, in comparison to parsing raw CQL (or SQL).
On the other hand, I agree XML is a pain when it comes to
serialization and messaging.

I'm not sure what the right answer is here. One thing I've noted in
the years I've been working on my project is the lack of really good
SQL editing UIs. If that industry hasn't solved the problem with
decades to work on it, will we?

The only solution I can come up with is that servers should be able
to output the XML format--which solves the client UI issue--but
servers only receive requests in the non-XML format--solving the HTTP
request transport issue. This puts the main burden of complex query
parsing on the server. This shouldn't introduce extra
interoperability issues because servers probably have to do this
anyway to translate into their native query language. For clients
it's probably trivial to translate from the XML format to raw CQL.
What do you think of this proposal?
---
Raj