Subject: RE: [search-ws] [Issue] Encode operation in URL not URL option

Firstly, I think this is a worthwhile discussion - whilst there are
reasons which made sense at the time why SRU/SRW works the way it does,
the move to OASIS is meant to allow us to re-evaluate those reasons
which may no longer be sound given changes in approaches to web services
(or in hindsight weren't actually sound in the first place!)

> http_URL = "http:" "//" host [ ":" port ] [ abs_path [ "?" query ]]
>
> "
>
> Don't we always have the situation where some information is encoded
in
> the abs_path while some is encoded in the query? Nearly every search
> spec I have been involved with has that situation a quite a normal
one.

In SRU/SRW we've taken abs_path to define the resource (database,
catalogue etc.) you wish to act upon and the query string to indicate
the (parameterised) action (e.g. search using this query, return index
terms starting with "blob") to be taken upon that resource.

Re REST - at somepoint I did (more as an intellectual exercise) work out
how SRU would work using full REST - roughly

http:" "//" host [ ":" port ] [ abs_path

would represent a resource

You would then use PUT to initiate a query which would return a new URL
representing the result set
GET on the result set URL would allow you to cursor through the result
set
POST would allow you to take actions on the result set, e.g. sort
DELETE would instruct the server to release any resources used by the
result set.

Scan would work in a similar manner.

An ATOM approach would work in a similar way.

Another discussion point would be basing the result set responses on
RSS.

Matthew