Subject: Re: [search-ws] [Issue] Search response can only return XML records

LeVan,Ralph wrote:
> [...]

Sorry if I was not clear before...

Section 4.4 says"

"

All records are transferred in XML. (Records are not assumed to be
stored in XML. Records which are not natively XML must be first
transformed into XML before being transferred.) Records may be expressed
as a single string, or as embedded XML. If a record is transferred as
embedded XML, it must be well-formed and should be validatable against
the record schema.
"

No one is arguing whether it is possible to wrap non-XML content inside
XML content.

What I am proposing is that the spec provide standard mechanisms for
returning non-XML content and not leave it up to applications.
Specifically I propose the following 2 mechanisms:

    * For REST Binding use atoms feed/entry/link mechanism to simply
      provide a URL link to the non XML content
    * For SOAP Binding provide a wrapper element definition that servers
      use to wrap binary content in a standard (XOP) based way

This can be accomplished easily and with minimal impact with the benefit
being that *all* servers return non-XML content (or links to it) in a
standard interoperable way. How else would a client actually peel apart
the non-XML content and do something useful with it unless it
specifically knew what app specific wrapping was used?

--
Regards,
Farrukh