Subject: Re: [search-ws] [Issue] Need to support parameterized stored queryinvocation

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> The current strawman spec is based on the model that the client
> specifies a query using an abstract syntax (CQL) and the server build
> the concrete query by mapping the abstract CQL to the concrete syntax
> (e.g. SQL, XQuery etc.).
>
> Some standards such as ebXML RegRep, OGC WRS support a model where a
> query is implemented in the server complete with all supported
> predicates. Parts of the query are parameterized using paarameter
> variables. Clients invoke the query by simply identifying the query by
> its id and supplying a subset of parameters supported by the query.
> The server prunes the query to remove any predicate for which
> parameters were not supplied.
>
> In Parameterized Query there is a complete query pre-configured on the
> server which is pruned down to a smaller query where query parameters
> have been replaced with parameter values supplied by the client.
>
> Here is a brief overview of parameterized queries:
>
>    * Standard queries are defined by some specification
>          o Implementations may define non-standard queries
>    * Server somehow implements a parametrized stored query
>          o The query may be implemented in any syntax (or even code).
>            Details are opaque to client
>          o The query may be as complex or simple as needed to be
>          o The query can easily support all kinds of joins, nested
>            queries etc.
>    * The query URL identifies a stored query by it id
>    * The query URL optionally provides one or more parameters supplying
>      name=value pairs for named parameters supported by the query
>    * The query MUST be pre-defined in the server and cannot be
>      constructed based on the query URL
>    * Server may provide an interface to define new queries dynamically
>      or allow their discovery. Open search is being considered to
>      specify discovery of parameterized stored queries
>

> I can provide a more formal specification for Parameterized Queries
> later this week.
>
> CQL and Parameterized queries have different strengths, weaknesses,
> similarities and differences.
> I can highlight these later this week as well.
>
> Perhaps we should consider supporting both models in a unified way in
> our specification. This would meet the needs of several existing and
> emerging standards.

I have just posted the specification for Parameterized query and the
document is available at:

<http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/download.php/25861/search-ws-param-query-1.0-draft1.pdf>

Please note that:

    * Every attempt has been made to keep as consistent with current SRU
      based discussion draft, as possible
    * CQL queries may be supported as a canonical (standard) query
      within this specification
    * Keyword search queries (classic search engine) are supported as a
      canonical (standard) query within this specification
    * Default responseFormat is ATOM 1.0 (other are permitted)
    * There is an OpenSearch binding

I would like to propose that as part of our standardization, we consider
merging the two discussion drafts with the best of both specs in a
unified spec for standardization.

This would allow our spec to meet the needs of a broad cross-section of
search needs in various standards and implementation.

Thanks for your consideration.

--
Respectfully,
Farrukh