Subject: RE: [search-ws] RE: Search WS TC "Discussion Document"

Thanks Ray!

  I’ll double-check the document and let you know if I see any problems; otherwise I should get the announcement out either late tomorrow or early next week.

Regards,

Mary

From: Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress [mailto:rden@loc.gov]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 6:20 PM
To: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org
Cc: 'Patrick Gannon'; 'James Bryce Clark'; 'Scott McGrath'; 'Carol Geyer'; search-ws@lists.oasis-open.org

Mary - we are ready to release the "Discussion Document".  I wasn't sure of the procedure on my end but I have uploaded the document in two (identical) forms, pdf and word:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/download.php/25956/search%20ws%20discussion%20document%20nov%202.pdf

Let me know if there is anything else I need to do, and if not please proceed to release it.

Here is a note that can be included:

'This document: "Search Web Services Version 1.0  - Discussion Document - 2 November 2007", was prepared by the OASIS Search Web Services TC as a strawman proposal, for public review, intended to generate discussion and interest. It has no official status; it is not a Committee Draft. The specification is based on the SRU (Search Retrieve via URL) specification which can be found at http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/. It is expected that this standard, when published, will deviate from SRU. How much it will deviate cannot be predicted at this time. The fact that the SRU spec is used as a starting point for development should not be cause for concern that this might be an effort to rubberstamp or fasttrack SRU. The committee hopes to preserve the useful features of SRU, eliminate those that are not considered useful, and add features that are not in SRU but are considered useful. The committee has decided to request OASIS to release this as a discussion document. Detailed review of this document is premature at this point and is not requested; feedback on the functionality and approach is solicited.   Feedback is requested by December 7.'

Thanks.

--Ray