Subject: RE: APP?

Because there are no signs of any searching capability in APP?

> One of the downsides to SRU is there is no equivalent APP
> service document.  So I just cannot query a URL and find
> out about all the collections that an SRU server supports.

True.  That was in intentional decision when we created SRU.  We were
reacting to the overly complex Explain mechanism of Z39.50 that needed
to support the ability to describe how a client might search across
multiple databases.  That turned into a nightmare.

In SRU we decided to just describe the collections themselves.  I agree
that a simple list of the collections would be useful.  In fact, my SRU
server provides just such a list because I found it useful.  You can be
sure that it is being discussed in the OASIS group.

> The Explain request is for a specific collection and its,
> IMHO, worthless since while it tells you the names of the
> indexes, it doesn't tell you whether the index is a phrase
> or word index and which operators are supported on that
> index.  So if you are trying to write a generic SRU client
> to talk to unknown SRU servers in an SOA context, it
> just doesn't work.

I suspect you are reacting to my own implementation of SRU.  I'm sure
the Explain experts on the SRU list could tell us how to specify what
operations are supported on a particular index.

Ralph