Subject: Fw: OASIS/SRU: Scan

We need to get the scan discussion message out tomorrow, the earlier the
better.

I've asked Matthew to draft a message, but I went ahead and started it:

----
There is discussion within the committee about representing scan as a search
function (and eliminating the scan operation).

The committee recognizes that this has been the subject of debate for nearly
20 years, though not in recent years.  Many years ago Z39.50 implementors
firmly concluded that Scan could not fit easily into the search model.
However as this has not been discussed now for several years, and as there
are new members both on the OASIS committee and in the Z39.50/SRU community,
the committee believes it is worthwhile to revisit this issue.  (The
committee does not have a position on the issue.)
-----

Matthew, if you want to pick it up from here please do so (add some
technical support for the idea, i.e. how it can be done) otherwise I'll pick
it up tomorrow.    I do think we need to initiate this thread tomorrow.