Subject: Re: [search-ws] Scan as a query type

> From: "Matthew J. Dovey" <m.dovey@jisc.ac.uk>
> i) introducing scan.index into a query suddenly introduces the ability
> to create meaningless queries.

That's what diagnostics are for. (And Explain.)

> Scan.index introduces meaningless queries. The following simply do not
> make sense:
>
> scan.index = dc.creator AND dc.author = "Smith"

But isn't it reasonable for the server to be able to detect meaningless
queries and avoid trying to execute them, and return a diagnostic?

> ii) in both Z39.50 and SRU, the query and the record format/syntax
> returned are independent.

But the database and record format are not necessarily independent. You can
name specific schemas for a given database.   So your point here, I assume,
is don't mix term records and real record in the same database. Ok that
makes sense.  So one database for the real records and a second database (or
however many you want) for the term records.