Subject: RE: [search-ws] Scan as a query type

> I don't care for ii: "modelling as different operations (but if
> possible
> with the same request/response formats) on the *same* database".  If
> they
> are going to be different operations then let's declare the issue dead
> (status quo).  I mean, if they are different operations why bother
> going to
> the trouble to model an index as a database?

We wouldn't - if we modelled them as two operations, they'd be two
operations not two databases. However, the parameters you send search
(namely query, startRecord, maximumRecords, etc.) could be similar
enough to those you send scan (scanClause which is a CQL clause in SRU,
responsePosition, maximumTerms) to warrant the same request format
(there is still some discussion on this particular point), and the
response to both could be the same ATOM based format.

> So your preference would be "i".  But "i" is really the same as "iv"

No, they are different. In (i):

To do a normal search, (e.g. find records by Smith) you would send the
query "dc.author any smith" to some URL http://myserver/mydatabase
To do a scan (get terms starting with Smith) you would send the query
"dc.author any smith" to a different URL
http://myserver/mydatabase/indexes

In (iv):
To do a normal search, (e.g. find records by Smith) you would send the
query "dc.author any smith" to some URL http://myserver/mydatabase
To do a scan (get terms starting with Smith) you would send the query
"scan.index = dc.author AND scan.term any smith" to the same URL
http://myserver/mydatabase

In (ii) assuming that the operation forms part of the URL

To do a normal search, (e.g. find records by Smith) you would send the
query "dc.author any smith" to the URL
http://myserver/mydatabase/results (namely http://myserver/mydatabase is
the database and /results the operation)
To do a scan (get terms starting with Smith) you would send the query
"dc.author any smith" to a the URL http://myserver/mydatabase/terms
(namely http://myserver/mydatabase is the base and /results the
operation)

(i) and (ii) *do* look similar but (i) requires magic in explain to link
the URLs http://myserver/mydatabase and
http://myserver/mydatabases/indexes whereas (ii) just requires attaching
the appropriate operation to the base URL.

> don't
> think it's a good idea to lay out all these possibilities (just as you
> convinced me not to lay out the possibilities in the ATOM posting)

Not on the ZNG list, I agree. But I want to have gone through the
proposal properly here before posting there.

Matthew