Subject: OpenSearch RFC (WAS Fw: Say NO to mandatory Atom Feeds)

See Ed's note about an OpenSearch RFC.

We need to have a call sooner rather than later.   We need to do something to bring them into this process. I hadn't pushed lately because we thought they had disappeared from the face of the earth. Apparently not.  These really should not be separate standards efforts.

--Ray

----- Original Message -----
From: Ed Summers
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: Say NO to mandatory Atom Feeds

It's funny OCLC seems to be doing quite an admirable job of creating
URIs for bibliographic records:

  http://worldcat.org/oclc/30436563

I will admit I'll be sad to see SRU going down the road of yet-another
xml format. But I can appreciate Rob's argument about wanting to be
explicit.

BTW I did ping the OpenSearch list and have found out that Dewitt
Clinton and possibly Joe Gregorio and James Snell will be working on
an IETF RFC for OpenSearch.  So perhaps it would make sense for
SRU/OASIS to distinguish itself from such an effort by having its own
specialized response format.

Ahh, standards ...

//Ed

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/opensearch/browse_frm/thread/66c2e5c78a0ede6b