Subject: Re: [search-ws] Draft message to SRU implementors group

This looks mostly good Ray. Some comments that are hopefully
non-controversial inline below...

Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress wrote:

> Draft message. Please comment.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> At last week's teleconference of the OASIS Web Services TC, we agreed
> to the following strategy: We will develop a base, or core,
> specification - an abstract model from which
> serializations/profiles/bindings/extensions/specializations will be
> developed.
>
> We haven't yet decided on terminology:  base specification, core
> specification, or abstract model; serialization, profile,  binding,
> extension,  or specialization.  (For the latter set, several of these
> terms may  be used with different meaning.)  Temporarily we will use
> "core specification", and use "profile" and "binding" interchangeably.
>
> The core specification will leave open nearly all possible choices.
> For example, parameters will be defined but not characterized as
> mandatory/optional/repeatable.  In some cases a parameter may be
> defined though its name might not be specified (for example, the query
> parameter).  A profile may then specify that a given parameter may be
> mandatory or optional, repeatable or not-repeatable, must not occur, etc.

Perhaps it would be prudent to not go to the other extreme ( "leave open
nearly all possible choices") and instead simply "leave open all
controversial choices"?
We should still try and reach consensus on as much as possible that is
non-controversial and try and mandate it in the core.

> [...]
> the issue of which response format will be mandatory, and the issues
> surrounding ATOM, do not apply to the core specification.  Of course
> it doesn't mean the issues go away, they just get pushed down a
> level. However, different communities can make different decisions -
> one profile might ignore ATOM altogether while another might make it
> the sole response format. Query type issues also become moot at the
> core specification level. Different profiles will specify different
> query types.
> So, two products implementing the core specification may or may not
> interoperate. Their chances increase if they both implement a common
> profile, and increase further if they both implement a common
> specialization of that profile, and so on. And of course two products
> implementing different profiles might not interoperate at all, but
> it may be that they are not meant to interoperate, their applications
> are different. In any case the level of interoperability is ultimately
> decided by business needs. If profile A calls out the SRU response
> format and profile B calls out ATOM, there is nothing to stop an
> implementor from supporting profile A and profile B in a product.
>
> Some profiles will be developed within OASIS as part of this
> committees work, others within OASIS outside this committee,  and some
> in other standards groups or communities. The number of profiles to be
> developed is difficult to estimate at this point, but there will be at
> least three to start with: SRU 1.2, OpenSearch, and SRU 2.0.
>
> SRU 1.2
> The next order of work for the Committee will be to draft the core
> speccification and the SRU 1.2 binding. This will serve as proof of
> concept.  So the SRU 1.2 binding will be done within the committee.
>
> OpenSearch
> This will also be done within the Committee. We will enlist OpenSearch
> experts to work with us on this. It may be that the OpenSearch
> specification itself will be formalized as an RFC within IETF.
> That would occur independent of OASIS, and our work would be to write
> a profile which would simply be a binding to the RFC.  Before the RFC
> work is done we might write a temporary binding to the existing
> OpenSearch specification.
>
> SRU 2.0
> The original idea behind this OASIS committee was to work on the
> difficult problems of SRU (proximity, for example) and the resulting
> standard would be a major revision of SRU (in contrast to a minor
> revision, for example, moving from 1.1 to 1.2 where the changes were
> minor, did not require a formal process, and was done within the SRU
> implementor group), i.e. SRU 2.0.  It was also originally envisioned
> that SRU 2.0 would incorporate OpenSearch.  Although this is a
> different direction, there is still a need to develop SRU 2.0 -
>  separate from OpenSearch, but under a common framework.

Please aslo add "ATOM 1.0" profile to above list. Thanks.

--
Regards,
Farrukh Najmi

Web: http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com