Subject: Groups - Search WS TC Call modified

Minutes modified -  contribution by Ashley added.

 -- Ray Denenberg

Search WS TC Call has been modified by Ray Denenberg

Date:  Thursday, 14 February 2008
Time:  09:00am - 10:00am ET

Event Description:
Toll-free number: 888-448-7101
International Dial-In: See http://www.intercall.com/sprintservices/SPCIntlAccessNumber.pdf

Participant code:7646073

Host: Ralph

Agenda:
1.	Role call
2.	 Draft core spec revision
 http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/download.php/27146/sws-core-2-11.doc
3.	 Draft SRU 1.2 binding
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/download.php/27149/sws-sru1-2-2-11.doc
4.	Description Language
5.	Other documents/specs/bindings that need to be written:
        a.	CQL
        b.	OpenSearch
        c.	ATOM
        d.	SRU 2.0
6.	Template
7.	Next steps
8.	Possible face-to-face meeting
9.	Next Meeting
10.	Any other business

Minutes:
1.	Role call

Present: Ashley, Larry, Matthew, Ray.
four of seven voting members, Quorum.

2.	 Draft core spec revision
 http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/download.php/27146/sws-core-2-11.doc

a.	In the data model (which is new) change database to data source because database is too specific.  Bindings can use database.
b.	In the processing model, need to add prose about the response type.
c.	The response parameters will instead be called response elements.
d.	In the last section, Description and Discovery nearly the entire section was removed in this draft, all except for the outline of the four components of a description: General description, how to formulate a request, query grammar, and  how to interpret a response. These will become a separate document. Ashley, Rob, and Ralph are working on it.

3.	 Draft SRU 1.2 binding
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/download.php/27149/sws-sru1-2-2-11.doc

There are no substantive changes pending for this document.

4.	Description Language
a.	Need to describe the sequence of operations  the requests and responses  to obtain the server description.
b.	Also need to consider the different ways that URL may be constructed for different bindings: not all will be SRU style with key=value pairs for the query.
c.	The hard part will be the semantics.

Following contributed by Ashley:

Though the Description Language set out to specify how to interact with an on-line database it has quickly become
apparent that it will describe how to interact with many types of web based resources. It can just as easily describe how to extract information from a static web page as it can describe how to perform a query on a database and then pull back the records.

The example .sws files I have uploaded to the Group's Document section on the OASIS web site show several
different methods of retrieving records from Copac. Perhaps the most interesting example is the retrieval of records from the Copac SRU service without any knowledge of the SRU protocol. (Though some knowledge of CQL is required to construct a query.)

5.	Other documents/specs/bindings that need to be written:

a.	CQL   -- Ray
b.	OpenSearch  -- Matthew/Ray
c.	ATOM  -- Matthew
d.	SRU 2.0  --  Rob

6.	Template

We all need to look at the URI template draft RFC, and nail down where it does not meet our needs, so we can provide feedback. And we should let those people know what we are working on.

7.	Next steps

We want to set an approximate target date of 1.5 months  end of March  to release a core set of documents.  (Note: we will use core to refer to the core set of documents, and avoid using it to refer to the core specification which is what we had been calling what we are now calling the Abstract Protocol Definition.)
  The Core Set:
a.	Abstract Protocol Definition
b.	SRU 1.2
c.	CQL
d.	OpenSearch
e.	Description Specification
The first three (a, b, and c) will be committee drafts.  The other two might not be ready to be committee drafts, but we would make unofficial drafts available so people can get the big picture.

OpenSearch is an important issue with important strategic aspects. We should spend much of the next call discussing it, and so it is important to have all voting member at the next call if possible.  Ray will send a message to this effect.

8.	Possible face-to-face meeting

We are considering the possibility of a meeting in DC, mid June, either June 12-13, or June 23-24. (I.e. immediately before of after the week of June 16, which is JCDL in Pittsburgh, where some of the committee may be.)

9.	Next Meeting

February 28.

This event is one in a list of recurring events.
Other event dates in this series:

Thursday, 20 December 2007, 09:00am to 10:00am ET
Thursday, 03 January 2008, 09:00am to 10:00am ET
Thursday, 17 January 2008, 09:00am to 10:00am ET
Thursday, 31 January 2008, 09:00am to 10:00am ET
Thursday, 28 February 2008, 09:00am to 10:00am ET
Thursday, 13 March 2008, 09:00am to 10:00am ET
Thursday, 27 March 2008, 09:00am to 10:00am ET
Thursday, 10 April 2008, 09:00am to 10:00am ET
Thursday, 24 April 2008, 09:00am to 10:00am ET
Thursday, 08 May 2008, 09:00am to 10:00am ET

View event details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/event.php?event_id=17240

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above link does not work for you, your email
application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to
browser.

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
METHOD:PUBLISH
VERSION:2.0
X-WR-CALNAME:My Calendar
BEGIN:VEVENT
CATEGORIES:MEETING
STATUS:TENTATIVE
DTSTAMP:20080222T000000Z
DTSTART:20080214T140000Z
DTEND:20080214T150000Z
SEQUENCE:10
SUMMARY:Search WS TC Call
  http://www.intercall.com/sprintservices/SPCIntlAccessNumber.pdf\n\nParticipant
  code:7646073\n\nHost: Ralph\n\nGroup: OASIS Search Web Services
  TC\nCreator: Ray Denenberg
URL:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/event.php?event_id=17240
UID:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/event.php?event_id=17240
END:VEVENT