Subject: RE: [search-ws] faceted search

Scan doesn't work.  A scan response assumes that all the terms returned
are from the index in the request. So, there is no indication of the
source index for the individual terms.  Facets can come from many
indexes.  Languages are popular facets and they'd come from a language
index.  Similarly for dates.

We need a response richer than scan.

In addition, the current proposal would require 2 interactions with the
server; once to do the search and once to get back the facets.  My
proposal returns the facets with the search response.

My response goes into the extraResponseData and looks like this:
<facetReport>
  <facets index="indexName" count="numberOfFacets">
    <facet count="numberOfMatchingDocuments">term</facet>
    </facets>
  </facetReport>

As you can see, I clump my facets by index.  If you prefer to have a
flatter response and leave the clumping to the client, then the response
could be:
<facets count="numberOfFacets">
  <facet index="indexName" count="numberOfMatchingDocuments>term</facet>
  </facets>

The count on the facets element could be omitted.  Some applications
prefer not to have to count the number of subelements.

Ralph