Subject: Re: [search-ws] Re: sru/cql sort

> > If it does, then you use whatever abstract index is declared that
> > represents copyright date in originInfo.
>
> But the question is how do you declare an abstract index to correspond to an
> element? The dc example has a bit of hand waving, I think.

And the same hand waving applies, unless it is felt to be important that
we have some concrete mapping between indexes/contextsets and xml
elements/xml namespaces.

At which point we've really lost our only advantage over XQuery, which
is that our language is abstract and semantic, not structural and schema
dependent.

The design choice has always been to abstract data away from the format
in which it is held, and sorting should be no different.  If you want to
sort by copyright date, then the server must advertise some index for
sorting that has those semantics.  Those semantics are defined in the
context set that defines the index, and that context set might also list
common XPaths in different schemas for where content with those
semantics can be found.

Rob