Subject: Re: [search-ws] Re: sru/cql sort

From: "Rob Sanderson" <azaroth@liverpool.ac.uk>
>  Those semantics are defined in the
> context set that defines the index, and that context set might also list
> common XPaths in different schemas for where content with those
> semantics can be found.

Ok I'm happy with that answer.

Rob said earlier.
> If CQL is to be used outside of SRU, and it already IS being used
> outside of SRU in Jangle for example, then it makes sense to have its
> own sort specification rather than requiring every other project to
> reinvent it.  If SRU 2.0 doesn't want to use it, then it can split it
> off into a second parameter, but the language should retain the ability.

Conversely if we want SRU to be used successfully with query languages other
than CQL, some of which might not support sorting,  we probably want SRU  to
have a sort parameter.

Note that the APD does list sort order as an abstract parameter.     I favor
adding a sort parameter to SRU 2.0.