Subject: RE: [search-ws] RE: sru/cql sort

> There MUST be a query, and that query identifies or describes a result
> set.  Sort, as specified in CQL, is a part of that description as it
> affects the ordering, in exactly the same way as relevance ranking
does
> for example.

Sure, it affects the ordering, but not the creation of the result set.
It's just as legitimate to do the sorting after the result set creation
as during; it's just not as convenient.

> It makes it more complex to have two parameters, both of which contain
> CQL, one of which is mandatory, than to retain the status quo of one
> mandatory parameter that can optionally have a sort specification
> included in it.

By that logic, we should roll Scan into search, because it has a CQL
clause.  It's not a good argument for integrating search and sort.

> If CQL retains its ability to map prefixes, you would have to do the
> mapping twice, once in each parameter.

Well, I doubt humans are manually typing in CQL prefix mappings, and I
don't care about the redundancy for machine apps.

> If CQL is to be used outside of SRU, and it already IS being used
> outside of SRU in Jangle for example, then it makes sense to have its
> own sort specification rather than requiring every other project to
> reinvent it.  If SRU 2.0 doesn't want to use it, then it can split it
> off into a second parameter, but the language should retain the
> ability.

I'm okay with that.

> It also closely follows SQL, which most implementations will use
> underneath anyway, and is familiar to developers.

Sorry, but that is a bogus argument.  If we were to follow that logic,
we'd dump all our record selection parms in favor of a SELECT clause in
the query.

Ralph