Subject: Groups - Search WS TC Call (Conference Call) modified

Minutes added.

 -- Ray Denenberg

Search WS TC Call (Conference Call) has been modified by Ray Denenberg

Date:  Monday, 03 November 2008
Time:  09:30am - 10:30am ET

Event Description:
Toll-free number: 888-448-7101
International Dial-In: See http://www.intercall.com/sprintservices/SPCIntlAccessNumber.pdf

Participant code:7646073 (initiator add 8984)

Host: Ralph

Agenda:
1. Roll call

2. Proposals
   2.1 Element selection
   2.2  Same container
   2.3 Window relation
   2.4 Faceted search
   2.5 Multiple query types
   2.6 Alternative Response Format
   2.7 Depricate operation and version parameters
   2.8 Result size precision

3. Sort

4. OpenSearch

5. Other Business

6. Next Call

Minutes:
Present: Kerry, Ralph, Ray, Larry
Not present: Matthew, Jan, Ashley  (Rob is temporarily on inactive status)
Thus 4 of 7, quorum.

Discussion of proposals
------------------------

1. Element selection.
This will be removed. "No action".  (Keep it in the table with annotation.)

2. Same Container.
Deferred, pending discussion at upcoming IMS meeting.

3. Window Relation.
Keep it. (Try to get some concrete examples.)

4.. Faceted Search Results
"via search retrieve" is the agreed upon approach of the three listed.   We will write an XML schema to represent the information that a server should supply, along the lines of additionalSearchInfo for Z39.50. Ralph will post an example of what he has implemented.  Once we draft a schema we'll solicit feedback from the SRU list.  The protocol should provide for the server to use an alternative schema. Perhaps the client might request the faceted search results according to a particular schema.  The server would advertise all such schemas it supports via explain.   The server would also indicate its behavior, that is, (1) it will always provide faceted search results, whether the client asks for it or not; (2) it will never supply faceted search results; (3) it will, but only if asked to (default 'off'); (4) it will, unless asked not to (default 'on').

5.  Multiple query types
Approach 1 is agreed to, an optional queryType parameter.  Thus for example,  ...... queryType=xquery&query=[xquery expression]. Standard-wide  default would be  "cql", but the server can override the default - it can name a different default in explain.

6. Alternative Response Parameter
We will have an optional response parameter in 2.0.   The standard-wide default will be SRU, though the server can override the standard-wide default.   However any 2.0 implementation must support the SRU format.  We should register a media type for SRU.  Possibly text/xml+SRU.

7. Deprecate operation and version parameters.
Agreed. No discussion.

8. Result size precision.
In a response, the value of the result size precision element can be a non-negative integer from zero to 100.  '0' means the server has no idea what the size of the result set is. '100' means that the server guarantees that the value of result count is  accurate.  A value in between is the servers estimate of the precision of the result count.  At the other end of the issue, the client side: How should the client indicate that it does or does not care about result size precision? It might want 10 records, any 10, and beyond that it doesn't care if there are 10 or 10 billion. Should there be a way for the client to indicate this? And if so, should the server's response indicate "truncated at client's request"?  Perhaps this is a question to solicit feedback on. Perhaps we will ask the SRU implementors, and if none can cite a real-world need for a request parameter than we won't define one.

In the table of proposals , we will annotate each.

Sort
-------
Sort was not in the table but will be added.  The issue is, why did we drop sort from 1.2, adding it to CQL?  The reasoning had been that you might use CQL outside of SRU, with a protocol that doesn't support sorting, so sort needs to be part of the query language.  But the reverse logic argues that you might use SRU with a query language other than CQL, one that doesn't support sorting. So sorting needs to be part of the protocol.    So we define sorting in both the query language (CQL) and the protocol (SRU). That is, we will retain the CQL sort definition, and we will reinstate in version 2.0 the SRU sort definition that had been in SRU 1.1 but removed in 1.2.

OpenSearch
------------------
We have been monitoring the OpenSearch group discussion, but we have yet to make contact.  The discussion had been very quiet but has become active recently.  We need to introduce ourselves to them and explain what we are doing: We want to be sure to align our work with theirs. We want to make sure that we are creating a standard that can map to OpenSearch, and we have added features to our work for that purpose.  We should introduce them to our Abstract Protocol Definition, our concept of bindings, and the draft bindings that we have written, including OpenSearch.  Leave for later discussion about process (standardization).  Also, the description language will be a primary issue but leave that discussion for later as well.  Ray will draft a message and run it by the TC, and hopefully post it soon.

Next Meeting
--------------------
November 17.

This event is one in a list of recurring events.
Other event dates in this series:

Monday, 19 May 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 02 June 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 16 June 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 30 June 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 14 July 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 28 July 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 11 August 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 25 August 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 08 September 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 22 September 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 06 October 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 20 October 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 17 November 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 01 December 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 15 December 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET

View event details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/event.php?event_id=18390

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above link does not work for you, your email
application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to
browser.

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
METHOD:PUBLISH
VERSION:2.0
X-WR-CALNAME:My Calendar
BEGIN:VEVENT
CATEGORIES:MEETING
STATUS:TENTATIVE
DTSTAMP:20081103T000000Z
DTSTART:20081103T143000Z
DTEND:20081103T153000Z
SEQUENCE:17
SUMMARY:Search WS TC Call (Conference Call)
  http://www.intercall.com/sprintservices/SPCIntlAccessNumber.pdf\n\nParticipant
  code:7646073 (initiator add 8984)\n\nHost: Ralph\n\nGroup: OASIS
  Search Web Services TC\nCreator: Ray Denenberg
URL:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/event.php?event_id=18390
UID:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/event.php?event_id=18390
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR