Subject: RE: [search-ws] Another Kind of Facet?

But, in this case the facet is not an additional component added to the
query, as our current facets model would imply.  You see that in the
facet xml itself, where the assumption is that terms from an index added
to the current query define the facet.  My facets don't match that
model.  I can't provide a value to go in that <index> element, much less
the rest of the values in the <facet> element.

I'm also reconsidering the existing facets.  For thin clients, adding
something to the query is not trivial.  I think I'd like to add a <link>
element that contains the complete URL necessary to access the facet.
elements.  They are very valuable for smart clients and should be sent
if available.

Ray, at one time you had names for the facets.  Those became unnecessary
when we focused facets on indexes.  But now that we've opened the
possibility that they might be something more, the need for an optional
<name> element comes back.  Probably repeatable with a lang attribute.

So, maybe something like this?

<facets>
  <facet>
    <name>Personal Names</name>
    <link>http://...</link>
    <facet>
  <facet>
    <index>dc.source</index>
    <relation>exact</relation>
    <term>Library of Congress</term>
    <link>http://....</link>
    </facet>
  </facets>

Ralph

CorporateIdentities,
> SubjectIdentities and AbandonedIdentities.  When I search the
> Identities
> database, its results are the sum of the results of the searches of
the
> 4 component databases.
>
> I report back the summed result.  But, there are components to that
> search that I could expose as well.  Up until now, we assumed those
> components would come as the result of refinements on the original
> query.  But, I have a case where the components can be viewed by
> pointing the user at another database.
>
> Having done a search for "smith", the user sees that there are facets
> restricting the search to "Personal", "Corporate" or "Subject" names.
> would like to expose a link to a result that restricts the user's
> search
> to that facet of the original query.  I would do that by providing an
> SRU URL, complete with query, to the appropriate component database.
>
> Again, I'm prepared to hear that this is completely out of scope or
too
> unique a requirement to worry about.  I'm writing the code now to
> return
> this information in extraResponseData and won't be disappointed if no
> official action happened on this.
>
> I just thought I'd ask if anyone else thought this was something that
> our current facet design should be extended to accommodate.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ralph

Discourses