Subject: FW: SRU 2.0 Draft Feedback: SRU Preferred QNames

------ Forwarded Message
> From: <Hammond>, Tony <t.hammond@nature.com>
> Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:16:57 +0100
> To: <search-ws-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>
> Conversation: SRU 2.0 Draft Feedback: SRU Preferred QNames
> Subject: SRU 2.0 Draft Feedback: SRU Preferred QNames
>
> Hi:
>
> Forgot to add this point. There should be some mention (well, perhaps more
> than that) in the document about preferred SRU XML QNames for various
> namespaces:
>
>     * SRU response
>     * Diagnostics
>     * Facets
>     * Search Result Analysis
>     * etc.
>
> Preferably there should be one single section and/or table listing out
> namespace URIs and preferred XML QNames.
>
> Having a preferred or "known" XML QName makes it easier on implementers,
> rather than working with application generated placeholders.
>
> Also a mistake not to offer guidance, e.g. the facet example is using a
> defaulted namespace but this fragment would typically be embedded within a
> response which may itself be defaulted.
>
> Less ambiguity all round if clear instructions on QNames are provided and
> recommendation to use them. This also becomes important as one consider
> alternate serializations.
>
> Also is there anything to be said re "srw" and "sru"? Version 1.* is using
> "srw", I think, whereas some newer docs (e.g. the ATOM example) are using
> "sru". There should be guidance. And maybe some historical note about naming?
>
> As a precedent on XML Qname changing note that Adobe intially used "xap" (and
> xap*") in their XMP architecture but now explicitly prefer "xmp" (and "xmp*")
> in their spec. (Still, some of their own tools persist in using the "xap*"
> forms.)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tony

------ End of Forwarded Message

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept
liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not
expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or
its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan
Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication. Macmillan
Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 785998
Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS