Subject: RecordPacking (Tony)

Tony - apparently you strongly disfavor the recordPacking parameter.
http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/specs/search-retrieve.html#records  says:

"In order that records which are not well formed do not break the entire message, it is possible to request that they be transferred as a single string with the <, > and & characters escaped to their entity forms. Moreover some toolkits may not be able to distinguish record XML from the XML which forms the response. However, some clients may prefer that the records be transferred as XML in order to manipulate them directly with a stylesheet which renders the records and potentially also the user interface."

Which to me seems pretty sound justification for the parameter.

Some of the people responsible for it are not in the TC.  (Rob, for example, and possible Mike.)  If you really feel strongly about this then I suggest that you post a message to the SRU list inviting discussion on it.   If it really isn't wanted by the SRU implementors, we can take it out.