Subject: RE: [search-ws] Abstract parameter names

> From: Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress [mailto:rden@loc.gov]
>
> What is the purpose of abstract parameters?  I think one of the prime
> purposes is that they will be well-known and recognized within a
template.

I don't think that is their purpose.  They are abstract concepts that
can be bound to concrete implementations.  A template would be part of a
binding.

> However we have named our abstract parameter for the query, "query",
not
> "searchTerms".

That's because OpenSearch doesn't support queries, but we do.

> We discussed this, quite awhile ago, I remember the discussion, it
sounded
> good at the time, but the fact is that if we want a browser, like
Firefox,
> who already has provided some OpenSearch support, to ever pick up on
what
> we
> are doing, I think we need to give our abstract parameters the same
name
> that OpenSearch does.  Firefox recognizes "searchTerms".

And our binding to OpenSearch will use searchTerms, and will explain how
it relates to the abstract concept of a query.

> startIndex is another OpenSearch parameter that we have given a
different
> name to: startPosition.  And some others.

I believe the semantics of the two are identical and don't have a
problem changing it, but don't see a reason to either.

> Should we consider renaming these to correspond to OpenSearch?  It's
not too
> late. (But it will be soon.)

I'd say "No".

Ralph