Subject: Re: [search-ws] sru:recordPacking = unpacked ?

Hi Ray:

As requested a full writeup of recordPacking attached as a Word doc.

Note that my proposal is merely a generalization of the existing
recordPacking parameter. And I have in fact relented on my earlier view on
'string' and think that this is OK now and can be just regraded as a fairly
loose data disposition.

So, all I am doing is recognizing that SRU responses can be mapped to
external host carrier formats and that the data does not need to be (and
usually is best not) confined to a nested position in the response
organization but can made available immediately under the item level unit.

The attached writeup has suitably opaque wording I think for a standards
doc. :)

Example URLs are listed below (on our dev-server) to illustrate this in
practice: 1-3A are for RSS, 1-3B are for JSON (actually JSONP which is
easier to read as of media type text/javascript). (You can anyway run new
examples from the form page at the base URL.)

Also for ready reference is an example hosted format (JSON) below which
shows both packed and unpacked record data. (The unpacked record data
bubbles up to the top of the item level container.)

Cheers,

Tony

== Example URLs ==

1A. RSS - default record packing (xml)

http://dev-www.nature.com/opensearch/request?query=vampire&httpAccept=applic
ation%2Frss%2Bxml

2A. RSS - explicit record packing (xml)

http://dev-www.nature.com/opensearch/request?query=vampire&httpAccept=applic
ation%2Frss%2Bxml&recordPacking=xml

3A. RSS - explicit record packing (unpacked)

http://dev-www.nature.com/opensearch/request?query=vampire&httpAccept=applic
ation%2Frss%2Bxml&recordPacking=unpacked

1B. JSON - default record packing (xml)

http://dev-www.nature.com/opensearch/request?query=vampire&httpAccept=text%2
Fjavascript

2B. JSON - explicit record packing (xml)

http://dev-www.nature.com/opensearch/request?query=vampire&httpAccept=text%2
Fjavascript&recordPacking=xml

3B. JSON - explicit record packing (unpacked)

http://dev-www.nature.com/opensearch/request?query=vampire&httpAccept=text%2
Fjavascript&recordPacking=unpacked

== Example Hosted Format (JSON) ==

** SRU Packed Data (JSON)

 "entry": [
            {
                "title": "The role of junctional adhesion molecules in
vascular inflammation",
                "link": "http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nri2096";,
                "id": "doi:10.1038/nri2096",
                "updated": "2009-08-28T12:46:43+00:00",
                "content": null,
                "sru:recordSchema": "info:srw/schema/11/pam-v2.1",
                "sru:recordPacking": "xml",
                "sru:recordData": {
                    "pam:message": {
                        "pam:article": {
                            "xhtml:head": {
                                "dc:identifier": "doi:10.1038/nri2096",
                                "dc:title": "The role of junctional adhesion
molecules in vascular inflammation",
                                "dc:creator": [
                                    "Christian Weber",
                                    "Line Fraemohs",
                                    "Elisabetta Dejana"
                                ],
                                ... and prism properties ...
                            }
                        }
                    }
                },
                "sru:recordPosition": 1
            },
        ]

** SRU Unpacked Data (JSON)

"entry": [
            {
                "title": "The role of junctional adhesion molecules in
vascular inflammation",
                "link": "http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nri2096";,
                "id": "doi:10.1038/nri2096",
                "updated": "2009-08-28T12:45:42+00:00",
                "content": null,
                "dc:identifier": "doi:10.1038/nri2096",
                "dc:title": "The role of junctional adhesion molecules in
vascular inflammation",
                "dc:creator": [
                                    "Christian Weber",
                                    "Line Fraemohs",
                                    "Elisabetta Dejana"
                                ],
                ... and prism properties ...
                "sru:recordSchema": "info:srw/schema/11/pam-v2.1",
                "sru:recordPacking": "unpacked",
                "sru:recordData": {
                    "pam:message": {
                        "pam:article": {
                            "xhtml:head": {
                            }
                        }
                    }
                },
                "sru:recordPosition": 1
            },
        ]

==

On 15/9/09 19:15, "Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <rden@loc.gov> wrote:

> Tony, could you please prepare a complete writeup of this issue, including
> examples, that we can walk through at next Monday's call.  I'm still having
> trouble figuring it out.   By Friday, if possible?  Thanks.   --Ray

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept
liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not
expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or
its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan
Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication. Macmillan
Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 785998
Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS

recordPacking.doc