Subject: Re: [search-ws] recordPacking: No Schema Change Required

"Sorry, I'm resisting solving this problem until we get a clear
requirements statement."

Ok, Tony would have to confirm but this is my understanding.

To begin with, there is an assumption that for a given response format,
let's say for example ATOM, there will be mapping defined from the standard
SRU response (application/sru+xml) to ATOM.

In fact an ATOM extension has been sketched for this purpose,
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/download.php/33410/atom-extension-for-sru.doc.

If you look at that example SRU/ATOM response, I believe the requirement is
that the actual record data ......

e.g.
<creator>Gaiman, Neil.</creator>

<type>text</type>

<publisher>London : Titan,</publisher>

<date>2002.</date>

<language>eng</language>

...... be elevated so that it is not nested so deeply within the response.

Tony gives an example of how he might want the data serialized in this
message:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/email/archives/200908/msg00012.html

That shows two serializations, one according to  the "standard" ATOM
extension, and the second, an alternative.   The requirement, then, is to
indicate that the alternative serialization is desired.

Now I know you can say, why not just define a second ATOM extension.  This
raises the question of how we're going to ask for the ATOM extension in the
first place.  Remember, we have to specify a mime type. Is
application/atom+xml going to mean "the SRU ATOM extension"?  Or are we
going to have to register a mime type for it? Unlikely we'd be able to do
that. So one approach would be that application/atom+xml is specified as the
mime type and that there would be another parameter to further refine the
response type.

--Ray