Subject: RE: [search-ws] opensearch

Is the assumption in 2.1.2,  that the same query submitted multiple times will return the same results, a safe one?  I don’t think so.  I’d probably say that the result set model assumes that the server throws away the results after the response and that the client must be prepared for different results if it submits the same query again.

2.1.3:  Drop the gratuitous comment about an item sometimes being referred to as a “result”.  I’ve never seen that and don’t like it.

2.1.4: “If the server is able to interpret but not process a request it can send back the OpenSearch Description Document that explains how to correctly construct a request.”.  Is this codified behavior or have we invented it?  Unless you can point at that behavior in one of their documents, I’d prefer to drop it.

2.1.5: Item 6: I think this note misses the point of Auto-Discovery.  The specific example given is probably the least interesting.  More interesting are the ways that you might find an OpenSearch description document in other contexts, such as in an HTML or RSS response.

2.3: I think it is worth saying that the elements listed are associated with a specific namespace and list that namespace.  You should also say that those elements assume an XML response, but that an HTML response with none of those elements present is perfectly acceptable.  Behavior for other mime-types is undefined (and may even be illegal?).

3: I believe that mime type should be in all lowercase.

3.1:  This document is supposed to be a binding to OpenSearch.  I don’t think we have any business defining their description document.

Ralph