Subject: Re: [search-ws] Scan proposal

Well then we need more text to explain all this.  Ralph, would you write a section "Scan Clause" that in particular explains how the relation works, with specific examples.  It should also explain (or somewhere the document needs to explain) the relationship to CQL.  If the scan clause is the CQL seach clause, then does this mean that scan is to be used only (or primarily) when the follow-on search uses CQL?   Also, the agreement you cite about how to scan from the beggining of an index, where is it?  It needs to be in the standard, I suppose in the (new) "Scan Clause" section.

Thanks.

--Ray

---- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:34 AM

I’m strongly in favor of keeping all the features as they are, as they are all being used by me.

Yes, keep scanClause.  The relation is important, just as it is for searching.  A search for title=”dog” and title exact “dog” retrieve completely different things and a scan for those clauses retrieve different terms.  The first would retrieve a list of single words and the second would retrieve complete titles.

We have an agreement for how to scan from the beginning of the index: provide an empty scanClause.  Scan title=”” will get you the beginning of the title words index.

No changes are necessary or desirable.

Thanks!

Ralph