Subject: RE: [search-ws] Posted OpenSearch Extension for SRU to Google Groups

I'm happy with the proposed license and namespace.

I wouldn't list those SRU parms as deprecated.  I'd list the standard
OpenSearch parms and explain that their semantics are equivalent to
ours, making ours redundant and therefore unnecessary.

Ralph

-----Original Message-----
From: Hammond, Tony [mailto:t.hammond@nature.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:22 AM
To: OASIS SWS TC
Subject: [search-ws] Posted OpenSearch Extension for SRU to Google
Groups

Hi:

I posted the OpenSearch Extension for SRU onto the OpenSearch Google
Groups
list:

Link:
http://groups.google.com/group/opensearch/browse_thread/thread/c4d7fe0c2
abf3
309

Short Link: http://bit.ly/n8TuI

So far, one favourable comment from DeWitt.

Please post any feedback there, or here. We do need to determine a
couple
things especially:

    * Licence (Default CC licence OK?)

    * Namespace (I guess proposed is OK)

    * Matter of deprecated elements - how best to handle

This last point is important in that we want to account for all SRU
parameters for completeness' sake, yet cannot be treading on OpenSear
toes.
Three SRU parameters collide with OpenSearch semantics:

    * sru:query = opensearch:searchTerms

    * sru:startRecord = opensearch:startIndex

    * sru:maximumRecords = opensearch:count

I don't know if it might be better to move these parameters off to a
Legacy
Parameters section rather than deprecating them as such. Introducing
them
inline and then deprecating has a couple disadvantages: 1) it gets in
the
way, and 2) it demeans the SRU parameters which are perfectly valid imn
their own context - but not in an OpenSearch context.

Re the length of the spec and liberal use of examples, I was wwaiting to
hear back from the OpenSearch list. My feeling is that the examples do
help,
and that this is probably acceptable in terms of length.

Cheers,

Tony

********
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone
who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in
error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other
storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept
liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and
not
expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its
agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its
agents
accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this
e-mail or
its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of
Macmillan
Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication.
Macmillan
Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered
number 785998
Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS