Subject: Re: [search-ws] container

 From: "LeVan,Ralph" <levan@oclc.org>
> This whole issue is about structure searching and I claim that we aren't
> any good at that given that our data model does not include structured
> records.

I agree,  and if you look through the archived SRU discussion (if you look hard enough) you'll see that we had extensive discussion on structured searching several years ago, and abandoned it precisely for these reasons - however the one thing we wanted to retain was this so-called (for lack of a better name) "container" searching, to be able to find A and B in the same field, as opposed to conventional searching where you can't do better than find A and B in the same record.

> I think this can be turned into an explain issue.  In Explain, we list
> the containers available for prox searching and for each container, the
> indexes that can be used inside that container.
I agree.

> In the second example, it appears that cql.any can be used in the
> "author" container.  If the intent was some sort of shorthand for
> "author=jack prox/container=author author=jones", ...

I'm not even sure what that means, or whether it makes sense.  The intent is really fulltext searching. Find the string 'jack' and the string 'jones' within the same author field.  I don't think you mean cql.any, do you,  as that's a relation, not an index, and we're looking for an appropriate (abstract) index, aren't we?

The 'allIndexes'   index.  That's really not appropriate, because the description is:

The 'allIndexes' index will result in a search equivalent to searching all of the indexes (in all of the context sets) that the server has access to.  AllIndexes is not equivalent to a full-text search: not all content is necessarily indexed, and content not indexed would not be searchable with the allIndexes index."

i.e. it says explicitly that allIndexes is not equivalent to a full-text search.

I would like to define a new (pseudo) index: 'text'.  Thus:

 "text=jack prox/container=author text=jones"