Subject: resultSetIdleTime/resultSetTTL

I notice that we have not resonved the resultSetIdleTime/resultSetTTL issue.

Here is my proposal.

The problem is we have request parameter resultSetTTL (time to live)  and response element <resultSetIdleTime>  (idle time) and they don't mean the same thing.    I suggest we add  a request parameter idle time and a respnse element time to live, so that we would have complete symmetry, two request parameters: resultSetTTL  and resultSetIdleTime, and two  response elements: <resultSetTTL>  and <resultSetIdleTime>.  Everything optional.  Existing implementations unaffected.  Client proposes a ttl, server responds with actual ttl. Client proposes an idle time, server responds with an actual idle time.  So the current section  would be replaced by:

  resultSetTTL, and resultSetIdleTime

In the request the client may supply one or both of the request  parameters resultSetTTL  and resultSetIdleTime.  These are respectively the result set time to live and idle time. Both are values of duration, in seconds. In the time to live parameter, the client is suggesting that the result set need exist no longer than the specified time.  In the idle time parameter, the client request that  the result set remain available and unchanged (both in content and order) until there is a period of inactivity exceeding this idle time.  If both parameters are supplied, the value of resultSetIdleTime should not exceed that of resultSetTTL.

In the response the server may supply one or both of the response elements <resultSetTTL>  and <resultSetIdleTime>.  Either of these may be supplied or omitted whether or not the corresponding parameter was supplied in the request and the value in the response need not agree with the value in the request if supplied.  If both elements are supplied, the value of <resultSetIdleTime> should not exceed that of <resultSetTTL>.

<resultSetIdleTime> and <resultSetTTL> are  good-faith estimates by the server of the idle time and time to live. That is, the server projects, but does not guarantee these values.  The idle time must be a positive integer, and should not be so small that a client cannot realistically reference the result set again. (If the server does not intend that the result set be referenced, it should omit the result set identifier in the response.)