Subject: Re: [search-ws] recordPacking - A Proposal

Thank you Tony for this clear explanation of the problem, I now understand
it.   I certainly have to admit that I didn't understand it until now.

I am in favor of your proposed solution A,  EXCEPT we cannot, ABSOLUTELY
CANNOT, call the new parameter recordPacking.

That is,
-we could rename the old recordPacking parameter "recordXMLEscaping". We
would take some heat for that, but I think it is defensible.
- we could introduce a new parameter for packed and unpacked.
- but we CANNOT call that new parameter recordPacking

We would simply need to find an entirely new name for it.  How about
dataPacking?

Ralph, I am not offended by the seemingly boolean nature of packed and
unpacked as I don't see that it implies only one way to pack.  I think the
semantics of this are as stated earlier in the discussion:  packed means
strict adherence to the schema; unpacked means that the data can float
around at will.   I would still prefer "strict' and 'loose' to 'packed' and
'unpacked' but I am not going to hold out for that.

--Ray