Subject: Re: [search-ws] resultSetIdleTime/resultSetTTL

Well let me preface by saying I'd get rid of all of this if it was a clean
slate but it isn't.   We have (in 1.x) the client proposing a TTL and the
server responding with an idle time, and that makes no sense at all.  But we
have to retain these for compatibility. (And my idea to add the missing one
on each side for symmetry seems to me the best way to simplify the picture.)

Next, note that in no case is the server guaranteeing these values, either
one. They are only projections.  If the server says idle time one hour, it
is projecting that it will keep it available for an hour, but that may end
up being three hours, or it may be three minutes. Same for TTL.

So no, there's no mathematics here, you don't include a time of response,
since these are only estimates.  And most importantly, these are all
optional. So no, I DON'T suggest that you add them in, I only suggest that
we add them to the protocol.  You (in your implementation) can ignore them
altogether.

It's all really just to give the client a bit of a heads up, but nothing
precise or formal.

Given all that is it really that complicated?

--Ray