Subject: RE: [search-ws] CQL discussion on SRU list

Some of this is coming back to me, tell me if this rings a bell.

Bear with me.

If we allow:  title=(cat or dog)

then we are introducing the concept of a structured term, that is, where a
search clause is 'index relation term', normally 'term' is, as they say,
"terminal". But now, it can be structured.

But fundamental to CQL is the ability to default the index and relation, so
that the query

                                                  cat

is a valid cql query, where it is expanded to

                      <default index> <default relation>  cat

But with the structured term, this means that

                                       cat or dog

which we previously would have understood to be term boolean term

might be a  term that needs to be expanded to

                      <default index> <default relation>  cat or dog

i.e.  TOTAL AMBIGUITY!