Subject: FW: <displayTerm> as a subelement of <term> in Scan responses

(I had the wrong account last time so re-posting.)

-----Original Message-----
From: SRU (Search and Retrieve Via URL) Implementors
[mailto:ZNG@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV] On Behalf Of Ray Denenberg
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:04 PM
To: ZNG@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

The utility of displayTerm (vs. actualTerm) was illustrated  many years ago
during early implementation of Z39.50 browse/scan.  You'd have to look up
that discussion in the archive, but basically, an implementation had an
index where terms where not very user friendly but were much more efficient
for searching than their corresponding displayTerms. I don't recall who the
implementer was, but there was a real implementation.

Of course this was for scan (or "browse" as we called it in Z39.50), not for
facets.

My position on this is that scan and facets should be aligned in this
matter. That is, they should both have displayTerm or neither should. That
means the OASIS committee should consider depricating displayTerm from Scan.
I don't say it SHOULD DEPRICATE it, it should consult with Z39.50 and SRU
implementors to see if displayTerm is still necessary/useful. That was the
purpose of Ralph's posting to the SRU list. If it seems that displayTerm
should remain in scan then I think it should be added to the facet response.
If it seems nobody cares whether it is retained or not then it should be
dropped from scan 2.0 (and not added to the facet response).