Subject: SRU Namespaces and Schemas

Title: SRU Namespaces and Schemas

Hi:

We need to be clear about namespaces and schemas in the SRU draft.

Annex D lists (provisional) schemas, but I don't see any mention of namespaces in the document apart from the following hotchpotch used in various examples:

xmlns:srw="http://www.loc.gov/zing/srw/"
xmlns:sru="info:srw/xmlns/1/sru-2-0-v1"
xmlns:srw_dc="info:srw/schema/1/dc-schema"
xmlns=”info:srw/xmlns/1/sru-2-0-diagnostic"
xmlns:auth="info:srw/extension/2/auth-1.0"
xmlns="info:srw/xmlns/1/xcql-2-0-v1”

The online schemas tell another story:

==

SRU 2.0 namespaces are:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/search-ws/sru-2-0-response
http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/search-ws/sru-2-0-diagnostic
http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/search-ws/sru-facetedResults
http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/search-ws/xcql

SRU 2.0 schemas are (provisionally) located at:

http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/oasis/schemas/sru-2-0-response.xsd
http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/oasis/schemas/diagnostic.xsd
http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/oasis/schemas/facetedResults.xsd
http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/oasis/schemas/xcql.xsd

==

I prefer to believe the schemas (I have to because that's all we've got).

We need to have a clear section (annex) dealing with namespaces and for namespaces to be used consistently across *all* examples. (Some examples even have no namespaces.) This could be dealt with together with the schemas annex. Might be useful to list all URIs together.

Also, namespaces and schemas are so important that they warrant pride of place. I would have put them into Annex A, or possibly Annex B, bu not tucked away in some arbitrary annex.

Btw, I don't think we should be using "info:" for namespaces. The day is long past. I think the schemas tell the right story.

One curiosity is why "diagnostic" (namespace and schema) is singular whereas "facetedResults" is plural? And then again, why are some namespaces versioned "2-0" and others (e.g. "facetedResults") not versioned?

Cheers,

Tony

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept
liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not
expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or
its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan
Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication. Macmillan
Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 785998
Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS