Subject: RE: [search-ws] SRU Diagnostics: Annex C

In SRU 1.0/1.1 if my memory serves, we used URIs for diagnostic codes rather than numeric values.

This had the advantage that in the SRU doc we defined a namespace for SRU errors, and defined the values in that namespace, and didn't have to reserve any ranges for other purposes.

The CQL document could define a new namespace for CQL errors in the CQL document, and define its values there.

And it was easy for third parties, alternative query languages, extensions etc. to define their own error codes by defining their own namespace accordingly.

Etc.

Can someone remind me why we went back to just numeric values (and hence the issue of needing to pre-reserve ranges in the SRU doc)?

Matthew

-----Original Message-----
From: LeVan,Ralph [mailto:levan@oclc.org]
Sent: 08 December 2010 05:43
To: Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress; Hammond,Tony; search-ws@lists.oasis-open.org

I think that's the right decision.

I think it's a little peculiar too, but I think Tony is right in saying that a CQL error in SRU is and SRU error.  We have no idea whether one of our CQL diagnostics could be returned sensibly in some other environment where CQL (theoretically) be used.  That theoretical framework would need to have its own CQL diagnostics.

Ralph